Monday, May 23, 2011

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 – Manhattan (Day 2) and Connecticut

We inadvertently picked the worst days to come to some of the most scenic places so far. If Manhattan was cloudy and overcast yesterday, it is pouring rain today. It started raining as we were visiting Ground Zero in lower Manhattan. We stopped in for a slice of pizza to wait it out, but it never stopped. One bus ride later, we were blocks from the van, but we still felt like drowned rats by the time we closed the doors.
Before we left Manhattan, we saw the Imagine memorial for John Lennon, and the hotel where John Lennon was shot, and the World Trade Center Memorial under construction. All other sightseeing was off the table once the rain started coming down.

World Trade Center Memorial Under Construction

(My apologies for the lack of pictures after Manhattan. I stopped taking pictures for a couple days because I was feeling very ill)
Headed to Connecticut where we played at The Acoustic Cafe. I honestly don't remember what city we were in. Because of the rain which apparently stretched across the entirety of New England, we had less than a dozen people and made $40. But they had a house kit and were very hospitable. I was coughing the entire time on stage so I still couldn't sing back up vocals. I will condemn the cowboy themed restaurant across the street however. Mediocre food for exorbitant prices and service slower than the molasses they served as my dipping sauce for my sweet potato fries. We have had much better for much less.
At the end of the night, I drove the almost 2 hours from Connecticut to Northampton, Massachusetts to Nic's aunt's house where we stayed the night. It was pouring the entire drive with semi-trucks passing me constantly.
It was worth the drive though. Nic's aunt (who is one the coolest people in the world) made up beds for all of us and we slept like babies, after I stopped coughing.